Crepes are thin delicate French pancakes which are versatile and tasty. They may be eaten at any time of the day therefore whether you are looking for a decadent dessert or a fulfilling main course, crepes will meet your personal needs. Today, they are popular worldwide and also believed to be a gourmet breakfast. With a few ingredients, one can be able to whip up delicious crepes suitable for any occasion. It takes lots of patience and practice to make your own crepes however, the reward of a tasty breakfast is usually worth it. How to make crepes, ingredients required
• 1 cup of flour
• 1/8 teaspoon sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• A cup of milk
• 2 eggs
• Non-stick pan (about 8″ in diameter)
Method of preparation
1. To make batter, mix together all the ingredients. The batter must be fairly watery so as to spread quickly on the heated pan. In case you have blended all the ingredients but the batter is not spreading easily around the pan or seems thick, you can add some more milk or even water. If you are making crepes for desserts, you may add a little cinnamon or vanilla to your batter.
2. Over medium-high heat, heat up a non-stick pan and ensure it is heated well. Pour into the pan some cooking oil, about 1/2 teaspoon and swirl it around every time you are about to make any new crepe as this helps to keep the crepe moist.
3. Remove the pan from heat and pour on one side the batter. Swirl around the pan to enable the batter to coat the bottom ensuring that the coating is thin. If the crepe has any hole, add some more batter and use a spoon to cover the hole.
4. How to make crepes, turn over the crepe to prevent the batter from drying and losing its shine. If you do not like pale crepes, you can leave it to cook a little longer.
5. Each crepe is usually ready within 30 seconds therefore, have ready a plate where you will put the cooked crepes. If you wish you may stack them in an ovenproof dish then keep them warm inside the oven or if you like after you have finished making the crepes, you can use the microwave to warm them.
Filling crepes is one of the fun things to do since one can be able to fill them up with almost anything and this depends on whether one is serving them as dessert or the main dish. If you are serving them as dessert, then you can fill the crepes with a filling of chicken and pickle which is very delicious.
You can also fill crepes with nutella (spreading hazelnut with chocolaty taste); jam or you can coat the crepes with melted chocolate then add some nuts. One can also make them for breakfast and then fill the crepes with cheese, fruit, tuna, egg salad or anything they prefer.
Crepes are usually tasty particularly when you make them thin as this brings out their delicate flavor. Also, thin crepes are easy to wrap around fruit or cheese without unrolling or breaking.