Who would not like to taste a tasty and creamy crepe? A crepe is originally from France and is considered as a national dish. As it became popular to other parts of the world, the fillings became innovative but still sumptuous. Commonly, crepes are filled with cheese, ham, eggs, spinach, mushrooms and meat products. On the other hand, the simplest of all is the sugar filling only.
At first look, you would say that crepes are like pancakes but crepes are more practical, convenient and versatile. You can choose different fillings and can be easily made or freeze overnight when there is any left. Now you might be asking how to make crepes from scratch. The ingredients needed for making crepes is just available at home and you do not need to bake or make use of other appliances.
The following are the needed ingredients on how to make crepes from scratch:
- 1 cup of wheat flour or any kind of flour available
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 spoon of oil
- 2 medium size eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
Also, you will need the following kitchen utensils to prepare your crepes from scratch:
- Cooking or frying pan (a non stick, if available)
- Mixing bowl
Follow the methods below to prepare your crepes.
1. In a large bowl, beat the two eggs lightly until the foam forms.
2. Gradually add the flour and whisk together. Lumps may form but continue whisking until it disappears.
3. Add water and milk into the batter mixture.
4. Stir and combine the ingredients well until there is no more lumps.
5. Lastly, add the butter to the mixture and beat again until it becomes smooth.
6. Place your cooking or frying pan over medium heat.
7. Spread a little butter on the pan.
8. Fill your ladle with 1/4 cup of batter mixture and pour into the pan.
9. Swirl the pan so the mixture can cover the entire bottom of the pan.
10. Shake the pan from time to time, until it bubbles. Within a minute, the bottom will slightly turn into brown.
11. Use a spatula to flip the crepe by lifting the edges of the crepe.
12. It will take ten seconds for the other side to cook.
13. Once cook, sack the crepes in a plate and follow the same procedure for the remaining batter mixture.
The crepe filling is up to you to make. Fill your crepe with chocolate, whipped cream and cherries. Peanut butter and marshmallows is also a good combination, but any leftovers you have at home is welcome. Blend your leftover chicken with mayo or with sausage, which is definitely a good mix. You can make crepe in advance, but just store them in the fridge and add your desired fillings when you are going to eat them already.
This recipe on how to make crepes from scratch is ideal to prepare for breakfast. It is one of the easiest to prepare and will not consume much of your time. Within five to fifteen minutes, you will have a sweet but nutritious breakfast.